Established as, “the most beautiful urban marathon in America,” the Medtronic Twin Cities Marathon has become an iconic event in the Minneapolis / St. Paul community, as well as at Duffy & Partners. Duffy created this marathon brand by developing the primary identity and a subsequent series of posters that were displayed throughout both cities.
Held on the first weekend in October, this event was first run in 1982.
Since then, the race has expanded and now registers 10,500 participants from all over the world. While the event continues to grow and evolve, the primary identity remains as iconic as the event itself.
For this year’s event, Duffy and Ticket King teamed up to celebrate the eighth annual Ticket King Marathon Party. At the twenty-mile mark, Ticket King hosted crowds of people and had a DJ playing “running” tunes to cheer and inspire racers as they neared the end of their 26.2-mile journey. Duffy designed a wearable party favor for guests that added a little layer of warmth as they watched the runner’s race by on a chilly October morning.
1. Twin Cities Marathon Logo circa 1983- present
2. Flash Back: Original Poster art created from 1983-1985
3. Pack of Runners about half way through the 28.2 mile course
4. Ticket King Party twenty mile mark
5. Gifts for the guests
6. Party goer
7. Discarded orange slices thrown to the curbside by runners moving through refreshment stations